Foam Rolling Exercises
General Technique when doing foam rolling exercises:
- Find a tender spot in the area you are working on and keep the roller on this spot. Wait for the discomfort to diminish by 50–75%. This could take some time and may be very uncomfortable.
- When this area is no longer sensitive, see if there are other sensitive areas and repeat this on those muscles.
- When the area is free from pain and can be rolled over, then continue rolling regularly to keep the area relaxed.
- Use the roller as a warm up prior to activity and also for a warm down after activity.
- There is some freedom for experimentation and “feel” when using the rollers. See what works best for you and manipulate your position to get good results.
- Below are some examples of the positions used: (Images and exercises available on the downloaded PDF below)
A printable version can be found here: